Gluten Free Banana Cake

by hilla.kariv on April 6, 2011

Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened

Dr. Seuss

kid in the kitchen

Crazy as it may sound, I get attached to my electrical appliances, lovely machines full of memories and time spent together. I find it hard to replace them with a newer-better model. Yes, that’s the way I am. My friend M. asks: “How can you get more attached to a washer than to real people?!” I don’t have time to wonder whether there’s any truth in what she’s asking because I’m busy saying goodbye to our washer. It has served us well for the past seven years, but one day decided she’d had enough. I know, it’s just a washer but in my heart I feel it was true love. She saw our dirty underwear, helped unload bags from faraway travels, whitened and eliminated tough stains, and spread a pleasant smell around the house.

Two big men carried her out, leaving me with a sad heart and a few minutes of quiet before the new one comes in. Me and the world of things uncovered in the space under the machine: dust balls, a few lost pieces of Lego, a marble, a pair of socks that disappeared recently… and this:

note: thanks mom for making dinner every night

‘This’ makes me smile. The middle one gave it to me last Thanksgiving: ‘Thanks Mom for making me dinner every day’. But it could have easily said: Thanks Mom for making me dinner so that I can – A. Say I’m not hungry at all. B. Don’t feel like eating what you made but something else entirely. C. Be busy whining or bothering my siblings. D. Spill something, say ‘I spilled’ and sit there doing nothing about it…

And yes, sometimes eat what I made, with a healthy joyful appetite that thrills my most basic motherly instincts.

making gluten free banana cake
eating gluten free banana cake

Gluten Free Banana Cake

This cake is for my sweet middle child, who would eat banana cake every day for dinner if he could.

Moist, soft and just excellent!

2 eggs
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup olive oil (or canola)
2 bananas, mashed well with a fork
1 small container of apple sauce (~1/2 a cup)
1 ½ cups brown rice flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of salt
a handful of chocolate chips – only if you feel like it

Preheat the oven to 350f/180c. Oil a 9” by 5” baking tin.

In the mixer beat the eggs and sugar on high for 6 or 7 minutes until the mixture is thick and light in color. Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

When the eggs mixture is ready, turn the mixer to a low setting and add in the following order: vanilla extract, olive oil, applesauce and mashed bananas. Mix well.

Add the dry ingredients and chocolate, mixing gently until everything incorporates. Transfer to a pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.

the new washer

Epilogue

I don’t like her I tell the Man when the 3 musketeers are all asleep. I don’t like her noises (sounds like she’s stuck), I don’t like the way she looks (no soap and rust stains) and I don’t like her modern efficiency (how can you wash clothes with 1/3 of the water and still have them come out clean?)
I know, he says, I heard you the first dozen or so times.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Ron April 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Always have room for another healthy kids-snack!
made it today- so easy and absolutely delicious!
Thank you so much!!!

orit alkalay May 28, 2011 at 12:36 pm

My kind of stuff. I loved it.

sue May 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I just made your recipe,they are delicious… good for big kids too. (I made them as muffins instead of a loaf and baked them for 20 minutes.)

Valorie Wilson May 21, 2012 at 6:55 am

My family loves these. I use coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar and make them into muffins. They are absolutely delicious. We recently went gluten-free and they all agree these are the best GF recipe we have had. Thanks!

Renata November 7, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. Just took it out of the oven and it turned out wonderful. I’m thankful for any simple gluten free recipes that doesn’t require 3-4 flours and xantham gum. I had to sub. For eggs and applesauce due to my sons allergies. I also used 1/4 cup honey instead of sugar and it was still delicious. Thanks again!

Jess January 13, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I have recently gone GF and this cake recipe is really really yummy even my non GF hubby loves it! Thank you :)

mybissim January 13, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Thanks!

Mindy January 22, 2013 at 9:56 am
mybissim January 22, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Thank you!

Lisa May 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I can’t wait to try this gluten free banana cake. My daughter has celiac disease and I have a regular recipe that I make the rest of my family and this would be an awesome cake for me to make her!! She is going to love it!! Thank you so much.

Chris August 28, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I know I’m late to the party, but do you think that coconut or almond flour would work in place of the rice flour?

Also, I completely understand getting attached to appliances, they’re such an important part of the day to day, they don’t talk back and you never have to worry that you’ll trip over their cleats on the way to the bathroom at 2am.

hilla.kariv August 30, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Hi Chris,
Not sure- you just need to try and see.
Maybe a mixture of the two with a bit of corn starch will be a nice match.
I’ll be happy to hear if any exciting things happen !
Hila

Kathleen March 12, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Lovely soft tasty cake, I used coconut oil instead of olive, also used honey instead of the sugar and 3 bananas mashed and no apple sauce.
Excellent recipe I have handed to all my gluten free friends :)

hilla.kariv April 11, 2014 at 6:40 am

Happy to hear- Thanks!

Mary Ann April 17, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I have not had anything like this in months. I loved that it was simple. Your instructions were great. When it came out of the oven I ate two slices while it was still steamy. Thanks.